Preparing Your Home For Spring Storms
You may think of spring as the time of the year where the long winter is over and summer is right around the corner. But spring also brings some of the wildest weather on the planet. Preparing your home for these spring storms can help save your property from severe damage. Damage caused by rain, wind, hail, flooding.
Protecting your property outside
- Roofing and siding issues can cause water to damage your home. Have a licensed contractor inspect for loose siding and possible missing shingles.
- Mulch vs stone landscaping can protect your home from damage caused by high winds. Broken windows can be caused high wind blowing these stones.
- Trees and shrubbery should be trimmed. Removing all dead or loose branches. These branches can cause damage to cars and your home.
- Loose or clogged gutters can bring water into your home very quickly. clogged gutters will allow water to back up under shingle and travel into your home.
- Secure your outdoor furniture so high winds don't take them for a ride. That can be dangerous if it is close to windows or doors.
Preparing inside the home
- Move furniture away from windows in case of broken windows and flying debris.
- Remove pictures or heavy item off of walls. These things can fall and break if not properly secured.
- Keep Poisens, solvents and flammable chemical away from emergency food supplies.
- Take heavy items and put them on lower shelves. Heavy items falling can break of shatter and cause harm to anyone that might be in the way.
- Important paperwork should be locked away in a fire and waterproof safe. Keep these items in a safe and central location for easy access in case of an emergency.
These are just a few tips to help you protect your home. If your home is damaged by severe and wild spring weather, SERVPRO of Jackson/Lacey can help you put it back together. Call us today if you have questions or need an estimate for repairs. (732)323-0135